The Up Shoppe the North End Women’s Centre’s social enterprise that:
- Builds employment skills in local women;
- Meets a need in the community by offering low-cost products;
- Revitalises Selkirk Avenue
The Up Shoppe is offers new and gently used items at a very low cost. We use the money from sales to keep the store open and support the programs at NEWC.
We rely on donations from individuals and businesses. All donated items are put to good use:
- furniture and household items are redistributed to the Oyate Tipi Furniture Project,
- any surplus items are picked up by other charitable organizations.
The store also offers many volunteer opportunities for community women.
Up Shoppe Merchandise
- gently used women’s business clothes
- baby layettes and/or diaper babies (unique new born gift creations)
- shoes, purses and belts
- family clothing
- small household goods
- jewellery and hair accessories
- basic health and beauty products
- jewellery by local artists
- infant clothing and accessories
- gift baskets and other treasures!
Up Shoppe Programs
This program assists low-income women to pay off debts owed, gain employment skills, and build their self-confidence.
Emergency wages participants work at the Up Shoppe for up to 35 hours. For every hour of work, NEWC pays the minimum wage directly to the company that the participant is indebted to.
The Up Shoppe provides family clothing, shoes, small housewares, linen, and infant layettes to women who meet certain criteria and are referred by partner agencies or NEWC.
The program is for women who:
- Had to suddenly leave home without their belongings
- Gave birth recently
- Had to take in a family member
- Are attending a job interview
- Have left an institution setting or a shelter
Fine Option Program
This program provides an opportunity for women to work off fines that they have accrued through the criminal justice system. Women are welcome to work in the safe and comfortable environment of the Up Shoppe and are granted flexible scheduling and priority access to any services of the North End Women’s Centre.
The Fine Options Program is a partnership with the Salvation Army.
Click HERE to download the Up Shoppe Brochure.